Friday, May 08, 2009

It's May!

And it has been for awhile!

I've been reading quite a bit, and doing a fair amount of stitching too. And of course buying stash.

In fact, since I skipped Guilt Free January, I've declared May Madness. It is also shaping up to be Mirabilia May, since most of the stuff I've purchased/want to start is Mira. I started Winter White Santa late on the evening of the first. No more starts yet, but Venetian Opulence and La Nouveau Sampler are all ready to go. I bought Emerald Mermaid and Shimmering Mermaid yesterday, but I had to order fabric for them, so depending on how long it takes, they may not be May starts. I'd meant to buy the Rose pixie to stitch for DD, but I forgot to grab it. I did get Country Cottage's Princess Parade and Little Ballerinas for her, and I may start one of those today. Am also contemplating fabric for TW's Tracery Dragons.

Books read in April:

1. A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon-- Now I'm waiting for Echo in the Bone to come out in September.

2. Best Ghost Tales of South Carolina by Terrance Zepke- Picked this up while on vacation. An okay book, but I didn't really enjoy the author's style.

3. Dave Barry's History of the Millennium (so far)- Pure fluff. Dave always makes me giggle. Basically his Year in Review columns from 2000-2007.

4. The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt- I grabbed this without realizing it was steampunk. At least so says a review blurb on the back. I wouldn't know steampunk if it walked up and bit me. Orphans on the run from murderers save the world. I really liked this book, and I'm eagerly waiting for the sequel to come out in July.

5. White House Ladies by Webb Garrison- brief bios of First Ladies. Not all of the First Ladies were included.

6. The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir- Obviously, a bio of the first Queen Elizabeth. I enjoy Weir's writing style, and liked the book.

7. Death's Daughter by Amber Benson- I grabbed this one because it sounded vaguely amusing. I didn't expect much out of it, since it's by an actor turned author. It isn't great art, but it was entertaining, and if there's a sequel I'll buy it. Calliope Reaper Jones is Death's daughter, and she has to take over his job while trying to discover who kidnapped him.

8. Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton- Old southern woman meddles in the life of a juvenile delinquent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home