Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Fire Station Field Trip

Today I was a chaperone for the Pre K trip to the fire station. The kids were mostly really good, and even the few who acted up weren't actually bad.

The kids got to see what the fire fighters carry to a fire, and watched a fire fighter put on his protective gear. Of course they talked about fire safety, and there were three calls while we were there, so they got to see the fire truck go out. :) I took lots of pictures, but I haven't checked them yet to see if they are any good.

The kids also got plastic fire hats and bags of goodies to take home.

This afternoon I got to see DD's school pictures. They're really, really excellent. What they did was dress them up in pretty clothes, sort of like glamour shots, but without the makeup. I loved two of the three poses, but I restrained myself and only bought three sheets of photos. I have one 8x10, 2 5x7's, and 8 wallet size. The wallet size will probably mostly go to relatives.

After that, we were off to Hobby Lobby to get Compassion and Freedom popped into frames. This Hobby Lobby was wonderful, and gave me absolutely no crap about doing while I waited, even though they were a bit busy. In fact, I don't think it occurred to them to ask me to leave my stuff for them to do later. :)

Stitching wise, I'm almost done with Native American. I just have her hair and feather, and then the backstitching left. I had foam core cut for her while I was at Hobby Lobby, so I'll probably be taking her back to be framed sometime this week. Yay, my Grandma will finally have the Native American cross stitch she asked me for almost three years ago. Originally I was going to do her Earthdancer, but I got about half through with it and then couldn't stand to work on it anymore, even after a long break. This one is a really small and simple quick piece, but I don't think she'll care, as long as it's a Native American. And if I ever manage to finish Earthdancer, I'll give it to her. :)

DS's birthday is coming up a week from tomorrow. His party will be on the 29th. I'm still not sure how many kids are coming. Two moms called to tell me their kids couldn't make it, but that leaves four I don't know about. Sigh. I've decided not to go all out on the goodie bags though, so I won't have a lot of money invested in them if the kids don't show up. I think I'm going to get some inexpensive halloween things, since it's that time of the year. Plastic spider rings, ugly rubber finger puppets, that sort of thing, that I can get really cheaply at Party City. A glow stick too, probably, since they can use it for trick or treating, and kids love things that glow. Heck, I still love things that glow! :)And I'll put one Pokemon card in each bag, since it's a Pokemon themed party.

The in laws are coming down for the party. At least this time they are planning on staying in a hotel. Thank all the Gods! DH would love for them to stay here. Hello, there are going to be at least four, and maybe as many as six of them. Where are you going to put them all? He says we have plenty of room, but most of that space isn't suitable for sleeping. We have four bedrooms, three of which are in use by us. The fourth is used as an office, and can be converted to a guest bedroom with a futon that sleeps two. We also have a cot. The only logical place to put the rest of them is on air matresses in the basement. DH suggested we could rent beds??!! Oookay, then. I pointed out that we wouldn't have a chance to haul them and set them up before the inlaws arrived. Plus, his mom doesn't want to stay here, and I don't want her to stay here. Hotel sounds like a winner to me! At least DH didn't suggest to me that we should give up our bed this time. He has figured out that I'm not going to go for that. Maybe it makes me a bad hostess, but I'm not giving up my bed for anybody! Okay, rant over!

I've mostly got DS's gifts bought. I have a couple of things to still pick up, plus the partyware and favors. One of his gifts is a Darth Tater. I think he'll like it, but I'm going to give it to him on his actual birthday instead of waiting for the party, since he's going to be 9 and might not like getting a Mr Potato Head in front of his friends.

So that's what's been going on around here lately. Tomorrow I don't have anything planned. I think while the kids are in school, I'll curl up and watch my He-Man dvds and stitch. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home